January 31, 2024

Student Perspectives: Crossing the Bridge That May Land You a Job


 A person in a suit and tie

Description automatically generated

MS Finance ‘24 student, Taweepan Panyasantisuk, shared with the GCMC how being enthusiastic, networking, and making self-improvements led to and enhanced his internship experience.

What has been one of the most important things you’ve learned at your internship?
One of the most important things I have learned at my internship is to be enthusiastic. It is invaluable, especially when you are an intern. I discovered that I could learn fast and enjoy learning when I am enthusiastic and open to learning new skills, ask for more work, and ask questions. This attitude shows that you enjoy being part of the team and that you are keen to help. Having curiosity and enthusiasm also means that you get a lot out of what you are doing, which opens a lot of opportunities.

How have you approached networking at your internship? Share any one specific example that has been impactful for you.
Since my undergraduate years at Baruch, I learned the importance of networking. Attending many networking sessions and career fairs gave me an insight into how the job market and job recruiting teams work. After talking to many successful job candidates, I learned a lot of useful recommendations. I polished my resumé and tailored it to job descriptions. Then, I made use of an online presence, which mainly involved updating my LinkedIn profile to make it look professional. After doing this, it was a huge success story. I received many responses from employers, some of whom invited me for an interview! This was how I got this internship.

What has been your biggest contribution to your team at your internship? Why?
I helped my team streamline daily work processes by using my Excel skills and running a detailed analysis of Profit and Loss, Contract Negotiation, and Billing Reconciliation reports to identify potential increased revenue and maximize collection of payments. My manager and colleagues were very impressed with my contribution of great work and knowledge to the company.

After this experience, what would you like to learn next?
I would take a CFA exam to advance further on an established career path and take a position as a Financial Analyst. A Financial Analyst is more advanced and interesting than accounting. I could apply what I learned from my accounting position, and I could take advantage of my current career knowledge and understanding to thrive as a Financial Analyst.

For students having a difficult time finding an internship, what is one piece of advice you would give them?
Nothing is more important than attending networking sessions and surrounding yourself with those who have an internship or a job. It is like a bridge that will land you a job offer. Also, know your weak points and make improvements based on feedback. For instance, you can boost your online presence and tailor your resumé to a job description.

No comments: