April 3, 2012

STUDENT SPOTLIGHT: Gitanjali Upot

 “The Power of Networking”

At the beginning of our MBA career and throughout the journey, one of the most common terms we hear is “Networking.” Networking in school means to tap into our resource of colleagues in classrooms to discover and capitalize on opportunities. It is through effective networking that I landed my internship at Jimmy Jazz.

Jimmy Jazz is a retail company with over 120 stores throughout the country. I work as a Human Resource Associate with the corporate HR department of the company. The best part of my internship is the great learning experience it provides; I get to put conceptual knowledge into practice. I learn in my HR classes the culture of the company and how it effects the employees- at Jimmy Jazz, I get to experience this first hand. The culture of my department is casual and open which allows me to ask and learn on the job which is the primary purpose of my internship.

My long term career aspiration is to work as a recruiter within a company. My responsibility as a HR Associate includes, but is not limited to, recruiting activities such as screening candidate resumes, creating job posting, calling candidate references, etc. Since the company is small and growing there are many opportunities for growth. I enjoy working with my team to constantly develop and implement new ideas in the field.

Jimmy Jazz renewed my internship in the spring semester, which gave me continuity and allowed to see the ideas I had suggested come into practice. In the future if Jimmy Jazz was to offer me a full time position I would gladly accept.

Gitanjali Upot
Zicklin School of Business, MBA
Major: MBA, Management/Organizational Behavior Human Resource Management
Graduation Date: Dec 2012
Alumni Relations Chair, Graduate Student Assembly
Vice President, Indian Graduate Student Association

No comments: