May 14, 2015

Take Note: The Importance of Taking Notes During an Interview

By Annie Himmelsbach

I have to admit that I am continually flabbergasted by students who don’t take notes when meeting with me, especially during a mock interview!

If you aren’t taking notes, I am assuming one of three things:
  • You have a photographic memory
  • You believe that what I am saying is not useful or has no value
  •  You are lazy or not in the habit of taking notes
If the reason is number one, congratulations! That is most enviable.

If the reason is number two, let me know that what I am saying is not useful, and we will refocus our efforts so that what we are talking about actually is noteworthy (literally!).

Unfortunately, unless you explicitly explain your situation with number one or two, I am assuming the reason is number three.

(I do realize that in some cultures, taking notes may appear rude as you are taking your eyes off or turning your attention away from the person who is speaking. In the US, taking notes is almost always acceptable and appreciated.)

This is not only a career counselor’s pet peeve.  I have had students tell me that they were not extended full time offers after their summer internships as a result of not taking notes during meetings. For example, a student who was interning at an accounting firm over the summer was running from one meeting to the next and did not have time to swing back to his desk to pick up a notepad before the second meeting. Unfortunately, a partner was in attendance at this second meeting, and explicitly commented on the intern’s lack of note taking.

Ouch.

In an interview setting, it is good to take notes so that you appear engaged. Also, at the end of the interview, you will be able to refer to those notes in order to help you craft a more tailored thank you note.  If you are unsure if the interviewer will mind if you take notes, just ask! I have yet to hear of an interviewer who would be put off.

How you take notes during the interview should be different than how you take notes in class. In an interview setting, simply jot down some key words and make eye contact with the interviewer more often than your paper.

A great place to start practicing “note-taking hygiene” is at the GCMC.  We are open this summer, so make an appointment for a mock interview! 

No comments: