June 17, 2019

Students on the Blog: Working as an IT Audit Senior Consultant

Ritagya Mehrish (MBA ’19)

Working at Deloitte as an IT Audit Senior Consultant has been a valuable learning experience for me with numerous opportunities for professional and personal growth. During the last few months, I have worked across a range of projects from Cybersecurity to IT Audit, expanding my understanding of the technology risks faced by businesses and the role I can play in minimizing it.

Prior to receiving this offer, I was looking out for both internship and full-time opportunities, which was a bit challenging since I was enrolled full-time in school. To build my professional skills and get in touch with prospective employers, I utilized every possible service offered by the school, including GCMC services like one-on-one mentoring, resume and cover letter reviews, attending events like Mock Interview nights, networking events and the Executives on Campus program. I also volunteered for events organized by the graduate clubs such as office site visits and Meet the Recruiter sessions to connect with industry professionals. In addition, I networked extensively in my personal network and with Baruch alumni to try and land an interview with target employers. Eventually, it was at a campus event where I connected with someone on my current team and secured an interview, leading to an offer of full-time employment with them.

In my current role with the firm I am responsible for performing SOx 404 Risk Assessments for the clients, which involves conducting walkthroughs with technology owners, assessment of design and effectiveness of IT controls over risks in the client’s technology environment, and reporting results to senior management. The work involves a strong understanding of the client’s business and technology environment and actual testing of the controls, followed by detailed documentation of the assessment results. In addition, I am also a part of teams conducting planning meetings for new projects and working with Senior Management on proposals for new business. 

My work is significantly impacted by the people-focused culture of where I work, which permeates down to employees at every level. The firm’s investment in the well-being of its employees is a great example of how it creates value and impacts the lives of its people. My biggest take-away from this role has been learning how to go beyond my professional role and positively impact people and teams!

No comments: