October 21, 2020

Students Working with the GCMC: From Networking to Skill Building

Daniel Ambalu, MBA ‘21

Daniel Ambalu, MBA '21

The GCMC has been an invaluable resource to me throughout my time at Baruch.  Before I even started, I met with Jack Pullara, a GCMC Career Coach, who informed me what skills are most in-demand for my target industry and which ones I needed to build. Fred Burke, GCMC Director, taught me how to quickly expand my network on LinkedIn, and the walk-in sessions with different coaches helped me prepare for last minute interviews during recruiting season through practice interviews and questions to expect.  

My personal career coach, Lindsey Plewa, deserves particular mention, as she guided me throughout my career journey.  Through the MBTI and Strengthsfinder Assessments, she allowed me to pinpoint my skills and leverage them to best add value to my teams, whether at my internship or through class projects.  She even went over a PowerPoint presentation I made as I vied for a promotion last semester.  The GCMC is here to help you – if I could give graduate students one piece of advice besides networking, it would be to utilize the GCMC (although if you struggle with networking, they can help you with that as well).


Connect with Daniel:
LinkedIn: Daniel Ambalu
Instagram: @dannyambalu 
Twitter: @AmbaluDaniel

_ _

The GCMC offers Zicklin graduate students and alumni a suite of services that includes individualized career advisement and assessment, as well as strategic workshops and training to assist graduate students and alumni in building a career through personal branding, effective communication, and successful networking techniques. 

Our services span many areas including:

  •     One-on-One Advising
  •     Drop-In Advisement Sessions
  •     Self-Assessment Tools
  •     Mock Interviews
  •     On-Campus Recruiting
  •     Job Search Groups
  •     Social Media Channels