October 21, 2020

Students Working with the GCMC: Communicating with Executives

Eka Gigauri, MS '20

The GCMC has been my go-to destination since day one as a graduate student of finance. I regularly check-in with my career advisors to update them on my job-search and interviewing progress, share my doubts, ask “stupid” questions, because, yes, it is a safe place to do so. For instance, multiple times, my career advisor gave me invaluable guidance not only on oral communication with recruiters and professionals but also on professional email correspondence. One time, I was unsure about the content of an email with an executive that would maximize my chances of a reply.  However, I followed the recommendations from my advisor about the format and tone of the email and I heard back from the executive in less than an hour.  

In addition to working one on one with the career advisors, the GCMC frequently hosts informational sessions with companies that enable students to not only learn about them but also to network with executives. Prior to these events, I attend workshops organized by the GCMC aimed at training students on how to network with professionals. It makes a huge difference when you go prepared to a networking event and feel confident.


Connect with Eka:

LinkedIn: Eka Gigauri

_ _

The GCMC offers Zicklin graduate students and alumni a suite of services that includes individualized career advisement and assessment, as well as strategic workshops and training to assist graduate students and alumni in building a career through personal branding, effective communication, and successful networking techniques. 

Our services span many areas including:

  •     One-on-One Advising
  •     Drop-In Advisement Sessions
  •     Self-Assessment Tools
  •     Mock Interviews
  •     On-Campus Recruiting
  •     Job Search Groups
  •     Social Media Channels