June 22, 2021

Students Working with the GCMC: Navigating the Job Search as an International Student

Jun Lee, MS '21

If someone asked me what you would recommend new graduate students to do, I would say you should make GCMC career advisors your best friends. This is actually what one of my classmates told me to do in my first semester at Baruch College. As an international student, I have never experienced professional networking events before and wasn’t sure how to prepare for the campus recruiting process. Fortunately, the GCMC career advisors were able to help me in many areas including resume reviews, mock interviews, and one-on-one advising for my career path.

Last semester, I worked with Lindsey Plewa, a GCMC Career Coach, in preparation for the upcoming fall recruiting. She introduced me to the CliftonStrengths assessment which helped me identify strengths I wasn’t aware of and guided me on how to present them effectively during the interview process. Later, she also connected me to a professional who was working in my target industry. Through an informational meeting with the professional, I was able to have a great understanding of my target industry as well as the required skillsets for the position which I was applying to. Needless to say, without her help, it wouldn’t have been possible for me to achieve a great outcome from campus recruiting.

I know some graduate students are hesitant to speak with a GCMC advisor because they’re worried about being judged about their skills or background. From my personal experience, I’m confident to say that it is never the case. The GCMC advisors are always here to offer great support and advice to you. I’d highly recommend you to stick around with them and utilize the GCMC career services as much as you can!  


Connect with Jun Lee, MS '21:

LinkedIn: Jun Lee

_ _

The GCMC offers Zicklin graduate students and alumni a suite of services that includes individualized career advisement and assessment, as well as strategic workshops and training to assist graduate students and alumni in building a career through personal branding, effective communication, and successful networking techniques. 

Our services span many areas including:

  •     One-on-One Advising
  •     Drop-In Advisement Sessions
  •     Self-Assessment Tools
  •     Mock Interviews
  •     On-Campus Recruiting
  •     Job Search Groups
  •     Social Media Channels