November 1, 2021

Students Working with the GCMC: Career Change to EY

This week, we sat down with Alana Weisman (MBA ’23) to learn more about her career change from non-profit fundraising to public accounting. Having secured multiple internship offers this season, Alana has accepted an internship role with EY’s Exempt Organization Practice.

 

Hi Alana! Thanks so much for chatting with us. Why don’t you tell us a little bit about yourself?

 

Happy to! I'm in my first semester of the full-time MBA Program in Accountancy. I have spent the past five years working at a nonprofit - most of that time in its planned giving department. As a fundraiser, I was able to cultivate deep relationships with my donors and foster them towards creating planned gifts. In this role, I also had the opportunity to share with my donors the tax implications of their charitable gifts as well as inform my colleagues about how proposed regulatory changes may impact donors at different giving levels. These experiences directly led to my interest in accounting, and specifically tax.

 

Congratulations again on securing multiple offers this fall recruiting season! What do you think helped you stand out in the application processes?

 

I think two things helped me standout. First, networking through events like the virtual career fair and mock interviews definitely helped to boost my application. Given my untraditional background, I think that my application and resume does not stand out as particularly strong in a pile of others with traditional accounting backgrounds. Networking gave recruiters and staff an opportunity to understand the linkage between my past experience and my current goals, plus helped to demonstrate my strong interpersonal skills from my fundraising days.

 

Second, I think authenticity and being genuine is the most unique quality to bring to the table because no one else can be you. I answered every question from my unique perspective and never tried to speak about something I truly didn't know - I think people can tell when you are being genuine and they appreciate it.

 

Great point on authenticity. Speaking of interviews, how did they go overall? How did you manage? Anything you wish you’d known going into them all?

 

The interviews went well! They were certainly overwhelming and draining at times, but I managed by ensuring I was well prepared with notes on my interviewers, the firm, and the job description. One thing I wish I had known going into my interviews was how many of them would require my driving the conversation. It's a hard thing to prepare for, but easier to cope with when you see it coming.

 

That’s a great learning moment as well. Good reminder that interviewers and their own style can vary. Any last bits of advice for students and/or recent grads who might be starting out their own job search?

 

I know everyone says it, but do not underestimate the power of networking - both your personal network and the one you create. If someone offers to help you in anyway - whether it's practicing for an interview or answering questions about the firm - take them up on it! They offered for a reason, and you never know how it could help. Plus, you are developing deep relationships. I'll also add for career switchers: you know best what past experiences have led you to your current goals, so shape a compelling story, believe in it, and tell it to everyone you meet. 

 

++++

 

For assistance with your own job/internship search, we welcome you to:

No comments: