November 22, 2021

Students Working with the GCMC: First-Semester Success

 


This week, we sat down with Saloni Patel (MST ’23) to learn more about her internship search this semester. Saloni is a first-semester student who secured multiple offers, accepting offers with CBIZ, KPMG, and Withum for internships in the coming semesters.

 

Hi Saloni! Thanks so much for chatting with us. Why don’t you tell us a little bit about yourself?

 

Of course! Currently, I am a first-semester grad student in the Masters in Taxation program here at Baruch and I did my undergrad in Accounting from Queens College. At the moment, I am interning at a non-profit as a Finance & Accounting Intern. In addition, I am also the AVP for ZTAX and Assistant Treasurer for Graduate Ascend.

 

It sounds like you’ve had a busy first semester! How has the transition to Baruch been overall, be it classes and keeping up with recruiting?

 

Getting adjusted with a hybrid situation was a bit tough as I travel a long distance both ways and especially since most of the classes are at night, it has been a challenge for sure. Also, managing between classes and interviews definitely tested my prioritizing skills but I think persistence and a bit of motivation is what really got me through. 

 

Congratulations on securing multiple offers this fall recruiting season! What do you think helped you stand out in the application processes?

 

Attending various events on campus that the firms hosted and speaking with the staff and recruiters. This helped me prepare for the “why us” question for the interviews as I was able to learn more about the firms from the inside, helping me personalize my responses. I attempted my best to customize the resume according to the job description and having it reviewed by multiple experienced professionals.

 

That’s a great point on learning about the firms to be able to answer the “why us” question. We see that question come up often. Speaking of interviews, how did they go overall? How did you manage? Anything you wish you’d known going into them all?

 

All of the interviews were conversational. One of the firms I interviewed with for two rounds made me ask them questions instead of them asking me which helped me get to know the firm from the people who make the decisions. I utilized GCMC resources and scheduled mock interviews with career coaches that provided feedback on the spot alongside helping modify my answers. Something I wish I knew was how fast the 30 minutes go so keep in mind to ask the questions you want to while making sure you leave your best impression on the interviewers.

 

That is very true. The 30 minutes does fly by, especially if the interview feels conversational. Before we wrap up, do you have any last bits of advice for students and/or recent grads who might be starting out their own job search?

 

Advice I would like to give is to research the companies and personalize the responses with traits that you find interesting about the company. And, I would say don’t stress it even though it is inevitable, you are one interview closer to landing your dream job!

 

++++

 

For assistance with your own job/internship search, we welcome you to:

No comments: