January 21, 2022

Alumni Working with the GCMC: Continuous Career Guidance

 

Alexandra Villamar, MS '16

Throughout my career journey and as a Baruch alum, I have leaned on the support of Zicklin's GCMC. It was no different during my relocation to NY (during COVID), where I sought Baruch's professional career services to re-develop and establish a network back home. Working with career counselors Jennifer Seidman, Jack Pullara, and Justyn Makarewycz has allowed me to reestablish confidence in my career development. Utilizing the GCMC's resources, I successfully moved from job seeker to a happily employed professional.  

The office has offered a myriad of services, including Myers-Briggs self-assessment, a deep-dive into Strengths-Finder, thorough resume and cover letter reviews for both writing support and building clarity around my goals and value, practicing my delivery in mock interviews, gaining insight from interview debriefs, and finally strengthening my negotiation conversations and offer reviews. I have received great value from their expertise. Having built an excellent relationship with the GCMC team, I have continued to seek guidance for my career development, like requesting and providing performance feedback at work. I value my career counselors' advice and hard work and the resources available to me as an alumni and realize that this isn't a one-time resume shop but a continuous growth development organization. I am honored to have a team behind my successful career moves and decisions. ​


Connect with Alexandra Villamar, MS '16:

LinkedIn: Alexandra Villamar

_ _

The GCMC offers Zicklin graduate students and alumni a suite of services that includes individualized career advisement and assessment, as well as strategic workshops and training to assist graduate students and alumni in building a career through personal branding, effective communication, and successful networking techniques. 

Our services span many areas including:

  •     One-on-One Advising
  •     Drop-In Advisement Sessions
  •     Self-Assessment Tools
  •     Mock Interviews
  •     On-Campus Recruiting
  •     Job Search Groups
  •     Social Media Channels