January 21, 2022

Students Working with the GCMC: Successful Job Search

Michael Monzillo, MS '22

The GCMC has made a key difference for me in my job search. Before I approached the GCMC for help, I spent 6 months applying for great jobs that appeared super exciting. I tried using advice from blogs about how to write a cover letter and how to structure my resume. However, without any strong professional connections and without a clear understanding of how to target my writing towards what recruiters were looking for, my applications fell short. In those 6 months, I earned myself one interview. 

Shortly after the semester started, I started meeting regularly with Jennifer Seidman, a career advisor, and attending many of the networking opportunities hosted by Justyn Makarewycz, a relationship manager. As I met with Jennifer, she helped me to understand how best to market myself in my resume and cover letters. She was always available to meet with me and would look over my writing to make sure my applications were as strong as they could be. I also stayed current with all of Justyn's events and participated in lots of fun and exciting opportunities. 

Sure enough, one of these events introduced me to the CEO of a company looking for qualified employees. Justyn called on me to ask the CEO questions about the company and I quickly made strong connection. That afternoon I wrote a cover letter and asked Jennifer to look it over for me. My application landed me an interview and eventually an offer! Before I accepted, I asked Jennifer to look my offer letter over for me. She helped me negotiate my benefits and I was able accept the offer for my new job proudly and confidently. To anyone looking for a job right now, I would highly recommend taking advantage of the resources at the GCMC because if they can help me, they can help you too.



Connect with Michael Monzillo, MS '22:

LinkedIn: Michael Monzillo

_ _

The GCMC offers Zicklin graduate students and alumni a suite of services that includes individualized career advisement and assessment, as well as strategic workshops and training to assist graduate students and alumni in building a career through personal branding, effective communication, and successful networking techniques. 

Our services span many areas including:

  •     One-on-One Advising
  •     Drop-In Advisement Sessions
  •     Self-Assessment Tools
  •     Mock Interviews
  •     On-Campus Recruiting
  •     Job Search Groups
  •     Social Media Channels