August 4, 2022

Students Working with the GCMC: The Internship Experience




What has been one of the most important things you’ve learned at your internship? 

 Among the most important things I learned at my internship included:  

  • Working within revenue management and various commercial groups to creatively solve business problems by understanding business processes and airline economics to identify and implement solutions that will drive revenue performance
  • Defining and solving complex problems through quantitative analysis and analytical models, using operations research, statistics, machine learning, and forecasting techniques 
  • Building mathematical models, developing applications, and providing support to the business 
  • Structuring and delivering professional presentations and communications around complex topics targeted to varied audiences 

 

How have you approached networking at your internship? Share any one specific example that has been impactful for you. 

 

I approached networking by signing up for the company-wide mentorship program. One specific example included working with my mentor to build a Pricing optimization tool that automated a substantial part of manual pricing process configurations. 

 

What has been your biggest contribution to your team at your internship? Why? 

 

My most significant contribution to my team included defining new processes and best practices for our hypotheses formulation and designing tests to support business. I also leveraged statistics to evaluate tests that drove positive revenue decisions. My other contributions included participating in model design, prototype, model development, and model implementation. 

 

After this experience, what would you like to learn next? 

 

I want to get more involved in the Finance discipline to apply some of the skills I acquired in my graduate courses. 

 

For students having a difficult time finding an internship, what is one piece of advice you would give them? 

 

Utilize networking opportunities as much as possible by attending career events.




Connect with Rashid Ullah Khan, MS '22 on LinkedIn.


No comments: