December 5, 2022

Navigating Job Search as an International Student

 




 Yoko Jin, MBA'23


Job title: Consultant 

Company: Nomura Research Institute America (NRIA)


"I am a mirror to reflect what you are thinking," said my GCMC coach Jennifer. Working along with Jennifer, I received a full-time offer to be a management consultant in NY. Throwing back, as an international student with work experience only in Japan, I was eager to step into the professional world in the US promptly. Plus, I had to quit my job to start the MBA program - which I had not planned - there were plenty of job options. After an introductory call with Jennifer, I soon booked another appointment with her for resume review and LinkedIn profile review. I clearly remember that I had only 102 connections at that point and I wanted to expand my network more. Jennifer suggested that I start searching for alumni from my undergrad, a Japanese college, non-business degree. It worked well - surprisingly, I found numerous alumni working in NY or in the industries I was interested in. I had a successful kick-off of building up my network. 

According to Handshake, I had a total of 12 appointments with Jennifer. Although Jennifer said she was just a mirror to reflect what I was thinking, she has always been a compass on my professional development. When I received two summer internship offers from totally different industries for two different roles, the first thing I did was email Jennifer. With her advice and a lot of consideration, I chose the internship that led to a full-time offer later. As an adventurer, I could not have achieved my job-hunting journey without her pointing to the direction I wanted to go. 



Connect with Yoko Jin MBA '23 on Linkedin!

No comments: