Student Perspectives: Finding Opportunities

MS Quantitative Methods and Modeling student Jianghao Luo shared with the GCMC about how being team collaboration has impacted her career.

One of the most significant lessons I learned during my internship was the importance of self-reflection. As I worked during the busy season at the firm, I was assigned numerous tasks that required my assistance. Alongside learning new tasks, I was also responsible for updating previously completed assignments based on client feedback and provided information. By consistently reviewing my work on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis, I not only avoided duplicating the efforts of my busy team members but also became more familiar with the documentation process, enhancing my overall work efficiency. This practice not only facilitated my personal growth but also contributed to the team's success.

Networking played a crucial role in my internship experience at EY. The work environment fostered a positive atmosphere, and my manager was particularly supportive. We often enjoyed lunch together, during which she not only addressed any work-related concerns I had but also provided guidance for my future development. Additionally, the company organized networking activities, allowing colleagues to connect and interact on a friendly level. I am grateful for the patient mentorship provided by my team, and I strive to reciprocate their support by working efficiently. As a result of our collective efforts, our team consistently provided prompt responses to clients. Furthermore, when a new project arrived, my manager entrusted me to work alongside her, which I greatly appreciated. I am truly thankful for her trust, support, and encouragement.

During my internship, I had the opportunity to make significant contributions to the team. By leveraging my skills and knowledge, I actively participated in tasks assigned to me, completing them to the best of my ability. Whether it was conducting research, preparing financial statements, or assisting in data analysis, I strived to deliver high-quality work. This dedication and willingness to take on responsibilities allowed me to build trust within the team and showcase my capabilities. As a result, I was entrusted with more challenging assignments and given the opportunity to collaborate on important projects. My contributions to the team's success not only boosted my confidence but also reinforced my passion for the field of auditing.

After this enriching internship experience, my focus has shifted towards continuous learning and professional development. I have gained a clear understanding of the field of auditing and its significance. As a next step, I plan to pass the CPA exams before August 2024 to enhance my professional skills further. This certification will not only deepen my knowledge but also open up new avenues for growth and career opportunities.

I understand that the job market can be challenging, and many students face difficulties in securing internships. As someone who has gone through this process, I would like to offer a piece of advice: embrace the opportunity to participate in interviews. Engaging in interviews not only provides valuable experience and helps overcome nervousness, but also allows you to stay informed about industry trends and changes. It enables you to prepare yourself more effectively and align your skills with the requirements of your desired field. Additionally, seeking guidance from career services or mentors in improving your resume can significantly improve your chances of landing an internship.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zicklin Graduate Student Shares Her Thoughts on ESG After Winning CohnReznick’s 2023 Gamechanger in ESG Awards

Student Perspectives: Crossing the Bridge That May Land You a Job

Student Perspectives: Making the Most of a Summer Internship

Student Perspectives: Being a Power Business Intelligence Engineer

Best Practices: Writing a Resume